Monday, May 21, 2007

The Commodore At Our Club


I took some photos Saturday morning at Westwood Country Club. That's where Linda and I go every day to work out, play tennis (well, Linda does that), eat, swim, sun, and socialize. As you can see, it's located on Lake Austin and it's the in the center of town, which makes it convenient.

Through the trees you can see our club's boat docks and just beyond them is the grand old Riverboat Commodore which has been an Austin institution since I was a kid. One of our members owns it, docks it at the club and makes it available for party cruises.

It always tickles us when people from out of state come to Texas and are amazed at all the water and vegetation we have in our environs. No-- it's not all a desert here!

Historical note-- my dad actually built these boat docks back in the fifties. They've held up pretty well!

4 comments:

  1. It looks very pleasant place for socializing. The more surprising is the fact of being located in the city center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice place to relax. East Texas looks a lot like Alabama, but west of Austin, the climate and terrain changes dramatically in the Hill Country. It is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your Austin photos (my husband just began the Port Townsend WA city photoblog a week or so ago). I was excited to see the photos and references to The Commodore. My father, Albert Farley, designed and built the Commodore in the 1950s, for the Fowler family. I'd love to know who owns it now, and we will make it a point to go and see it when we are next in Austin. (We still have family in Texas and visit fairly regularly.
    Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a guy named Bill Fowler owned it until recently but I think he sold it. Not sure.

    I like the Port Townsend pix.

    ReplyDelete