Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Something old, something new


Linda and I were downtown one Sunday afternoon not long ago and I snapped this shot contrasting an old Austin landmark with the high-rise face of the new central city.

The Hoffbrau is a place that has been there (I think) longer than the sixty-one years I have been alive. Unless there has been a major transformation, they serve something like three (maybe it's only two) cuts of beef, a salad which is chopped lettuce slathered with vinegar and spices and a side of home style potatoes. That's it. Oh, I think they serve bread, too. And there used to be guys lining up on the sidewalk at 11:30 to get into the place so that they wouldn't miss out.

The tall building in the background has been there something like six years now. In the office suite at the top is a major-league venture capital firm run by a friend of ours. We've been to many a meeting up there for Ballet Austin and you wouldn't believe the magnificent art collection they have on their walls.

Austin's changing -- but it's still retaining its character.

2 comments:

  1. I like your photo and the depth of field was good on it so both are in good focus. I also liked your verbal description of the food. I just got done eating and my mouth was watering.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Life's Journeys
    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete