Monday, July 16, 2007

Texas Spirit(s)

Daniel Barnes is making rum in Central Texas from all Texas ingredients. He was pouring samples at one of the neatest invitation only receptions of the weekend on Saturday night. (No, not for Lady Bird's mourners. This one was for the birthday of a local food writer and was held at the iconic Boggy Creek Farms and had lots of locally famous foodies contributing to one ultimate pot luck.) Daniel and his lovely companion (sorry, didn't get her name) posed with the rum they are making from raw materials sourced in Texas. It's called Treaty Oak Platinum. They were giving away samples at the party. Daniel and his company join several other Central Texans who distill here. I understand it's good to eat local food (saving transportation and such). That must go for liquor as well!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely...think global...eat local.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like a happy couple but maybe it's from the rum. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great story. And reminds me that my grandpa, in West Virginia, used to make and sell corn liquor and went to jail for it several times. I don't think it is illegal nowadays if you make and drink it yourself and don't sell it like he did.

    The couple in your photo look well pleased with the rum.

    oldmanlincoln

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still managed to keep focused after a few samples?

    South Shields Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel's wife's name is Rachael Barnes and they're a happy couple without the rum. I wish them much success for all their years of hard work just to make it to this point of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was searching Google for "Treay Oak Rum". I was trying to find out where you buy it. Maybe you could help me. E-mail me back at talktobjbnow@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete