Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Day of the Dead

We made a special stop last night on our walk around the neighborhood to have a drink at Fonda San Miguel, the venerable North Central Austin Interior Mexican restaurant, so we could take a picture of the Day of the Dead altar for our Halloween entry. Click on the picture to enlarge and see all the tributes. I figure those are photos of relatives of employees and there are Tequila bottles and loaves of bread and other things to show the departed a good time. Here's hoping your day of 'skulduggery' (little pun) is fun. I know that at one time, Halloween and Day of the Dead and such were regional affairs. But I think there has been a lot of globalization of holidays in the last decade or so. In 1991, I went into the famous toy store, Hamley's, in London and found a display of Halloween stuff. A small girl picked up a wind-up skull (the jaw chattered) and held it up to her mom and said, "Look, Mum, Hamlet!" Something tells me today's English child would be more schooled in pumpkins, skulls and bats even if she did have a better knowledge of Shakespeare than the average American kid.

2 comments:

  1. Of all the items in the display, I liked the photos the best. As I understand it, that is probably the most meaningful. I enjoyed the Hamlet comment. Smart kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really knew too much about the day of the dead until my husband and I were in San Antonio last year. We now have a pink aluminum skeleton hanging from our ficus tree. It really is a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete