Friday, October 5, 2007

Murals with Meaning

Some murals and such around town at least announce the business that is or was in the location, but others just seem to express the whimsy of someone with a big space to work with. Between 9th and 10th on North Lamar is this one, on the side of Shoal Creek Saloon. Even with the large space the muralist seemed to have trouble having room for the big creatures he wanted to paint.
Shoal Creek Saloon, by the way, is the home for New Orleans style food in that part of town. With a deck over Shoal Creek and lots of TVs scattered around the dining room it makes revelers welcome. They are particularly attuned to Saints and LSU Tiger fans but when we ate there the other day there were Green Bay and Cowboy and car racing and dog agility fans, too, given the programs on the various TVs. I recommend the crawfish salad and the garlic soup.

4 comments:

  1. Yum I have never been in here but see it all the time; the soup sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! I noticed that Austin had the guitars like we had here in Nashville. . . .And, we both have the murals in common (which I guess other cities have, too). And, Austin has the downtown music scene. . .UT. . .orange and white. . . .

    I find it funny because my husband worked in Austin, and we almost moved there! It's just the irony of how similar many things are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there are some interesting similarities between Nashville and Austin, at least in my brief visits there. But some things are the same the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this ! it is fabulous! thanks for sharing it!! :)

    Tara
    http://tarastalkntreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete