Thursday, December 27, 2007

Open 365 Days a Year

This montage shows a mural along the side of the Threadgill's World Headquarters, some of the plaster armadillos adorning the eaves and the reader sign outside on Christmas Day indicating that they were open. Inside hundreds dined including us and our three elderly parents. My dad, FFP and I couldn't finish our plates but his parents cleaned theirs...by splitting a turkey dinner! We are glad Threadgill's is open 365 days a year so we can dine out on Christmas. Unfortunately I didn't find out the north (original) store was closed for remodeling so we did a lot of driving around. Which the parents enjoyed but it made us arrive at the one open store at a little after 11 and while we got a table almost immediately it was very crowded already. I did look on the WEB and now I can see the remodeling notice there. Before Christmas I didn't see it or it wasn't up. Anyway, all's well that ends well. The World Headquarters is near the site of the departed Armadillo World Headquarters, the scene of many an amazing concert before it's demise. The north store (currently being remodeled) was actually the original Threadgill's, started by the departed Kenneth Threadgill after prohibition as a roadhouse in an old gas station.

When I moved to Austin, the Armadillo was still going and Threadgill's old gas station was abandoned from its second life and was adorned with graffiti reading "Janis Sang Here." FFP and I actually had our first date at the Armadillo in 1975. I'm glad Eddie Wilson keeps the memories and some good food and music alive for us.

For those who live here: Threadgill's is always open unless they are remodeling. For those who may visit Austin: a visit to Threadgill's is in order to see the memorabilia and eat some excellent home cooking.

1 comment:

  1. You are dating yourself Linda! I remember the AWH too! In fact, I went there for lunchwhen I was here to take my state boards for my RN I fell in love with it and Austin right then and there and m,oved here shortly thereafter!

    ReplyDelete