Saturday, April 12, 2008

Art is Music

Austin fancies itself a crucible of music. "Live Music Capital" is a rubric we claim. But we are very much for mixing our art forms and so Austin's embrace of Daniel Johnston when he landed here is no surprise. The cartoon on these tanks was on the side of a used record store on Guadalupe and I think it is still there, preserved by fans' efforts when the location became something else. [Note to self: check, photograph.] From what I have read Daniel is a cartoonist and a unique musician. So Austin preserves his art, puts it on stylish ladies' tanks and recently had a musical about him at Zach Scott Theater.

Speaking of music and art, this weekend is your last chance to see Cult of Color: Call to Color, a brilliant collaboration of Stephen Mills, Trenton Doyle Hancock and Graham Reynolds at the Ballet Austin Austin Ventures Studio in the Butler Dance Education Center. It is brilliant. I thought I was witnessing something historic and I was entranced. I understand fans of Trenton's art from all over the world came to see it. So make that art is music is dance is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment