Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Am Austin

Walking on Second Street a week or two ago, my friend and I noticed that an empty shop (where some froufrou shop has flashed and failed) had been taking over by an art project. The window of the shop was full of Polaroids of people holding a little black board that said "I am ____" and they had been able to fill in the blank before the artists of the installation shot the Polaroids. The public is invited to come by during certain hours and participate, apparently. (It was closed when we were there.) I found this statement in a news release on the Internet:

"Jackie Young + Cybil Gustafson will present a collaborative installation titled I Am, an interactive photography exhibition that invites patrons to provide statements that describe themselves to accompany individual Polaroid portraits taken by Jackie Young. Performance artist Cybil Gustafson will hang the photos and statements. From the artist’s statement: “I am interactive. I am a large-scale installation. I am a representation of individuals. I am the story of a community. I am. We are.”
I may show you some details from this smaller format picture in the coming days. But if you are curious about what some of the statements say try to guess from the smaller format picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment