Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mexican American Cultural Center

This building in the Rainey Street neighborhood is a stark white vision. I haven't had a chance to visit it, but FFP and I walked on the hike and bike trail to this neighborhood the other day and got a picture of the outside. As my dear friend Juan from college used to say "brown is beautiful!" Only the building is starkly white! Not that some Mexican Americans are not white. Many however have darker skin tones derived from 'Native Americas' hues or blends with that and European Latin peoples and have skin tones that are darker, with dark eyes and hair. So I wonder if the building's finish was a conscious decision. Does it evoke pyramids built by native peoples in the country to our south? One day I have to go inside and see what the facility has to offer. It is certainly beautiful on the outside. It was much in the news when it (recently) opened.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog & wanted to say HI!! I used to live in Pflugerville, TX and LOVE your pics!!! Reminds me of when we lived there (for 5.5yrs, but moved 2.5yrs ago) & makes me miss it more.

    Oh found you from the list of daily photo blogs.

    Anyway, enjoyed reminiscing and looking at your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete