Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another Memorial

This plaque is embedded in the sidewalk at West Ninth and Lamar, southwest corner. It's been there for years. I was told by someone who lived in the neighborhood that this lady was killed in a bike accident. I think anyway. I'm very vague on this and I can't find anything on the WEB. OWANA is Old West Austin Neighborhood Association. This plaque in down the hill east of a steep piece of pavement that once had a giant memorial to a cat killed by a car. I don't have pictures of that (or none I can find) but I do have pictures of the image rendered on a T-Shirt here. If anyone knows the history of this memorial, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. According to a limited search of the Statesman's archives (I declined to pay for the full articles; only got the first few sentences), Ms. Grabhorn was killed by a hit and run driver in Arlington. She had worked to have a stretch of sidewalk either built or improved along 9th Street to benefit pedestrians, so the neighbor association installed this plaque when the sidewalk was completed. I'm sure others have more details about her life, but this was what I came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I didn't find this! I did find a scholarship that seemed to be named for her. And I like having that sidewalk!

    ReplyDelete