Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

A new place called Péché has opened up over on Fourth just east of Cedar Street courtyard. They have absinthe fountains and lots of people were having the green drink because they were included in the freebies in this opening event to benefit the March of Dimes. They were passing around samples of their pommes frites and other French bistro offerings. I'll be back to try the moules and croque madame. Since Capitol Brasserie was sold and became a pretentious Asian restaurant and bar I've missed a spot for that kind of fare. We'll see if this place can take its place. Somehow Bess (Sandra Bullock's sort of bistro) has never caught my fancy entirely. We are sort of lacking in places for stuff like this in Austin.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a drinker. Wine at dinner is it for me. But I tried Pernod some years back and thought it tasted ok, like licorice. I doubt I had enough to even give me a buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the Grand Opening for Penche's is tonight. I got a peek last night, and the crowd was really hot!

    Absinthe was not new to me - I've had a bottle for years, even tasted it. Every bar book says to have on one on hand, yet I've never had a call for it.

    Last night, I figure out why! It takes some skill to make the drink the way it's supposed to be enjoyed, and you can't beat the company!

    I have never seen so many green drinks going around, and none of them were Margarita's!

    Well Done!

    It's a wonderful new restaurant, great food (Menu's in English and French), and they have a new deck that goes behind the band in the courtyard!


    How cool is that!!!

    ReplyDelete