Monday, October 13, 2008

Unidentified Sculpture

These spheres are obviously intended as works of art. I think they originally had another purpose given some stencils on them. The dots are pennies attached somehow at regular intervals. They were on a concrete pad that looked like it had once had a plaque. You could see where the plaque had been but it had gone missing. We were walking on the east side of the UT campus when we encountered the thing. I was puzzled! A quick search of the WEB, though, revealed that this is part of an effort to bring sculptures to campus borrowed from an institute no less esteemed then the Metropolitan Museum. The first story that popped up, though, was a UT student journalist complaining because the work wasn't beautiful and appealing. The second was the official site of this project with an admonition that photography was not permitted!. Isn't that interesting to place art outdoors in a public place with no identifying signs and not permit photos! Intrigued, I started reviewing the whole project and most of the works say 'photography not permitted.' Some are indoors so that may be more enforceable. It does not say what the penalty will be. Perhaps I'll receive a cease and desist. I remember reading about the project now and I am intrigued to locate and view (if not photograph) the pieces all around campus. The artist for this one, Donald Lipski, seems to me to be a vaguely familiar name so maybe I've seen his work before.

1 comment:

  1. interesting... I just thought it was a symbol for having balls of steel

    ReplyDelete