Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Weird Poster

Yes, it says "the long blondes someone to drive you home." It was plastered on a wall at a little complex on South First that included a record store called End of an Ear and a funky garden store and maybe a junk shop and some performance space. Even with better grammar (should there be an apostrophe in 'blondes?') I'm not sure I'd understand the poster . It was Sunday and the little complex was quiet, mostly closed. But the whole outfit was definitely doing its part to keep Austin weird. And the record store's name was a play on the eye as well as the 'ear.' A visual pun. Right across the street from all this funky stuff was a shiny new retail complex that had been almost finished and had tenants like a bike shop and the office of one of those free giveaway papers called Austin Daze.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like record cover of Joni Mitchell to me, but again I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, The Long Blondes is the name of a band, and "Someone to Drive You Home" is the name of their album.

    From their website,"The aim was to form a fantasy pop group: Nico, Nancy Sinatra, Diana Dors, Barbara Windsor. Sexy and literate, flippant and heartbreaking all at once."

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'd figured it for a band or a song or both but how interesting that someone volunteered it. I'm always trying for links but was apparently too lazy to look up their WEB site but now that Annie has 'unearthed' it (ha, a pun for you, Annie, you gardener you) I have bothered and now I know. And I've even listened to a little of their music. Not going to bump the jazz off my listening charts, but, um, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a record sold in the shop. I love this little bunch of shops. The Stash is also in there and they have a plethora of stuff all from local artists. They have little exhibits sometimes too. There is a place behind it all called the Spunky Monkey. This guy and his wife live back there and the whole yard is full of "art".He isn't always open so keep going back till he is because it is worth the visit. My favorite shop of the bunch is in the little blue house next door called Happiness. I like the shops along south 1st much better than the ones on south Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving us the lowdown on that little center. We'll definitely go back and we have some more pictures taken there to use for Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete