Sunday, December 2, 2007

Iconic Restaurants

FFP and I decided to go out for breakfast yesterday. We thought briefly about a favorite coffee shop that has some interesting food and about a taqueria in our neighborhood. Then I said: "How about Frisco?"

The Frisco has been here in Austin longer than I have. It opened in 1953 so FFP can't probably remember it not being here either. It was once part of a local 'chain' of restaurants run by one family and the others were called 'Night Hawk' restaurants. This was opened, apparently, as a more casual diner for breakfast and burgers whereas the big brother restaurants were steak and potatoes and an upscale experience. For 1950's Austin, you understand!

I think only The Frisco remains of that group of restaurants, flashing its eponymous burger outside. (I prefer that incarnation of the burger but some like one called the Down South.) Yesterday, though, we had breakfast. The #2, I think. There was a dizzying number of choices: bacon or sausage, grits or hash browns, eggs up or over or scrambled, biscuits or sausage and what type of jam. You don't get a bunch of little containers of jam here but instead a plate with whipped butter and a big dollop of your choice of jam. FFP says they used to have a delicious apple butter but it is no more.

The Frisco is moving soon to make way for a chain drug store. I'm glad they are moving rather than closing. And I hope they take this sign!

2 comments:

  1. I remember going to Night Hawk years ago when I was stationed at Bergstrom in the 80s. I think it was on Riverside and Lamar or Congress?. It was close to a dance club. We used to go there as a group and always get in trouble from the waitstaff. I remember the Frisco sign but only by going past it, not sure if I ever ate there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there was a big elaborate location at Riverside and Congress. I believe they had a fire and never recovered?? It is some business now, not a restaurant, in that location.

    ReplyDelete