Saturday, March 1, 2014

Austin Street Scene, 1948

The theme today is "People on the Street." Here you see my parents carrying me down Congress Avenue, the main downtown Austin thoroughfare, in 1948. I was about 1 1/2 years old at that point. The shot was taken by what was called a street photographer. They were guys who set up their cameras on a tripod, snapped shots, and then sold prints to people. I have kept this one in my files. Such a different era -- people really dressed up to go downtown back then. Click here to see how other members of City Daily Photo interpreted the theme.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful shot for the theme today! I love old pictures like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Maybe there was a theme day back then, too! Lovely picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most interesting - love the photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’ve made a great Theme Day post. I'm glad you picked this for today. Thanks for the informative text.

    ReplyDelete