Friday, January 9, 2009

Playful Art

When I used to pay attention to toys, I remember a plastic articulated thing that was a bunch of curves attached together. It didn't seem to have a purpose other than to arrange the sections into your artistic vision. This art work next to a house just north of downtown recalls that toy, as if it had been made large, cut apart and mounted on plinths. I'll bet whoever lives and/or works in the house uses the art as a landmark ("it has a red curvy thing in the yard") much like I used a large red sculpture at an office building I worked in during the late eighties and early nineties as a way to help people find the building ("it's an upside down red check").

2 comments:

  1. Plinth. Only a true art lover would know that word - or use it! They just look like concrete blocks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or a word lover! Art and architecture contribute a lot of cool words to the arsenal and give you different tacks for expressing yourself. As does war (arsenal) and, of course, sailing (tacks).

    ReplyDelete