Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Whole Foods Planet

Years ago, Forrest and I shopped at a independent health food grocery store around 10th and Lamar. It was called Whole Foods Market. Later it expanded and opened stores in other parts of towns, in other cities in Texas. The downtown store moved to 6th and Lamar and then moved out of that space into the world headquarters between 5th and 6th. I call the place 'Whole Foods Planet' because they have signs that say 'Whole Foods Whole Planet' and such. Now, of course, there are Whole Foods stores in lots of U.S. cities including one in the Time Warner Center in New York City. You need to say New York City in a certain way if you are a Texan. I think it derives from an old San Antonio brand salsa commercial. I'll have to let the italics work that for you. I read that there is now a store in London. Texans, well Austinites at least most of whom weren't born here, tend to mention London in a calm way that implies they often visit. Which they probably do. They may, if mentioning Paris, however say Paris, France. That's because while there is a London, Texas it is much smaller and less well-known than Paris, Texas. So they aren't really being hicks but, you know, being clear. I do not think, however, that Paris has a Whole Foods Market so I digress.

Anyway, this photo is of the Whole Foods Market World Headquarters which includes a store with lots of dine-in options (sort of like Harrod's in London or Ka-De-We in Germany only on a smaller scale and more, well, organic). There is also a parking garage, a culinary center, office space and a roof-top plaza that, this month, is turned into an ice rink.

Last night when we visited here we had dinner at the Vegan Bar. It was delicious. As we sat down I ask FFP how long it would be before we saw someone we knew. He said, "Oh, about five seconds," as someone we knew rounded the corner headed to the seafood counter for dinner. After eating we made our way around the store and picked up some local products like White Mountain yogurt and tofu dip and, I'll confess, a six-pack of Shiner and one of draft Guinness. OK, that last one is only local to Dublin but I became a fan in that lovely city!

1 comment:

  1. I call this place whole paycheck foods! I do love me some Whole Foods and like you I have been shopping here, there, and wherever they incarnate! I am still miffed at them for shuting down the south Austin location!

    ReplyDelete