Thursday, February 28, 2008

A High Rise Apartment Bloomed Here

In April 2004 I had the opportunity to be in the Austin City Lofts. Probably for a downtown home tour, but I'm not sure. I shot this picture of a sprawling market with Mexican pots and such. Today, almost four years later, a large apartment building, the Monarch, is set to open there. The market moved on to another lot downtown and may have taken off for the hinterlands by now. But four years ago on West Fifth you could buy a chiminea or giant pot, put it in your pickup and take off for your suburban house. (Because I couldn't imagine this working for the people living in a loft or condo!) Markets of stuff like this still abound in the area, of course, because we are 'only' a couple of hundred miles from Mexico.

4 comments:

  1. Boy - What a feast of clay pits and pots! My husband and I were just discussing this morning where we could find a good connection for the Mexican Chimineas. This certainly looks like one. Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! I'm glad that the business didn't stop because of the apts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are a lot of pots! Would be a waste really if just left...good thing they found somewhere to sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this shot. It's really a cool perspective!

    ReplyDelete