Friday, July 6, 2007

Beers on Tap

I have selected a picture for today that FFP took a few weeks ago. He was looking around for red things for the July theme day. That candle looked more red in real life. We were in the Elephant Room, a basement jazz club on Congress Avenue. We were taking a tour around downtown, eating and listening to music. The sign shows all the beers on tap at the Elephant Room. What looks like a watermark on the picture is actually something printed on the plastic sign holder. On closer inspection it says "Celis Brewery, Inc., Austin, Texas." Celis was a Belgium-style brewery that was in Austin for a while. That brewery had bona fides because the family responsible for Hoegaarden apparently ran it. My favorite brews on this list are Guinness, Shiner Bock (a Central Texas brew), Schweider Weisse and Fat Tire (a Colorado brew in the Belgium tradition). There was a time when the American beer scene was not a pretty one. That time is long past, though. These beers are all on tap in this little basement joint playing jazz 365 days a year. Hmm...writing this up kind of makes me want to suggest 'beer' as a theme day. In any case, I think I'll give you an occasional beer entry for Austin. I'm really the beer drinker in the family although my tastes in adult beverages are fairly wide-ranging.

1 comment: