Saturday, August 11, 2007

Iconic Austinite

FFP is pretty iconic himself. One of the few true, native-born Austinites you'll meet. (He likes to tell people he's been here sixty years. And his dad and a couple of generations back were born here, too.)

But I'm talking about Clifford Antone. Clifford started his blues club just before I moved to Austin (1975). It has had at least three homes and "Blues Guitar" is sitting outside the current location on West Fifth. Clifford died a little over a year ago. He was younger than we are. That is his face on the guitar.

FFP and I saw B.B. King at the original location some time in the seventies, I think. We saw various acts at the Guadalupe location, too. The night I shot this (Tuesday, I believe) hopefuls from the National Poetry Slam that is being held here were lining up outside the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment