Sunday, January 27, 2008

Art Gallery and Home For Sale

Andrew Long, with one of his paintings.

When we were at the party last Wednesday, I was anchored against the wall (just staying out of traffic not being a wallflower) and a guy walked up and asked if he could perch his plate on the table by me. I introduced myself and told him I recognized him as the painter who had done a portrait of Miguel, the chef/co-owner/founder of Fonda San Miguel. He was Roi James and we talked about his art and then I heard him telling another person about a show that had its opening last night. FFP came up, we talked some more, exchanged cards. Roi invited us to the opening which was really neat. This home builder, Metrohouse, had a beautiful modern duplex for sale so they filled the two (over 2000 sq. foot) homes with paintings and sculpture and turned them into a giant gallery. Obviously it's a chance to get people to look at the homes. Besides Roi there was another painter, Andrew Long, who is a longtime friend. (I took his picture because I caught him with his work. When we caught up with Roi he was looking at Andrew's paintings!) The third artist was Stephen Dubov and he was showing sculpture made from recycled and broken windshield glass and metal tubing, cables and clamps. It was amazingly beautiful. I didn't know Stephen and didn't catch up with him.

This event was amazing. I love the modern aesthetic of these homes and, empty, they made a great backdrop for the art. A DJ ran some custom music and there was art gallery food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment