Sunday, January 20, 2008

Some Things Endure

When I first came to Austin and met Forrest, we liked to go to The Old Pecan St. Cafe on East Sixth Street. (Back before numbered streets Sixth was Pecan. I think the streets have been numbered for a hundred years but people still like using the old names for flare. Hence there is a Pecan Street Festival on Sixth every year.) It was over three decades ago that I first went to this restaurant. They served crêpes, both a Florentine for an entrée that I liked and a blueberry dessert one, I think. East Sixth at the time had, I think, a few cojunto bars, a place further east called The Raw Deal, Antone's (before it moved to Guadalupe and then W. Fifth). The Driskill was there, of course, and there were transients wandering about. It wasn't just bar after bar seeking the barely twenty-one.

With all the changes, Pecan St. is still there and, when last we checked the crêpes were still offered and pretty good. Very few things last, especially restaurants. But this one has.

2 comments:

  1. They also have the best chocolate cake- Fat Chocolate cake it is called. I love to sit at a table by the window and watch the world go by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecan Street Cafe was my favorite in Austin in those days too, haven't been since the 80's...nice to see it..

    ReplyDelete