Sunday, November 18, 2007

Art in the East

This is Jennifer Balkan with her painting and some "models" (the armless dolls shown). East of IH35, there is a thriving art community spread among taquerias, bodegas, gentrified single- and multi-family housing and businesses and aging homes with their original residents still in them. We drove around for a little bit yesterday during the first day of E.A.S.T. (East Austin Studio Tour). There were over a 100 locations of warehouses and old houses where artists worked and were showing their wares. We only made it to a couple (along with a stop at Joe's Bakery), but we made our first stop Dog House Studios which is an old house on Willow with the painters Jennifer Balkan, Karen Maness and Pablo Taboada sharing the digs. We were familiar with and loved the two ladies when they were showing and working elsewhere.

E.A.S.T. continues today, Sunday the 18th, (10-5).

2 comments:

  1. I live in McKinney Texas, about 30 miles north of Dallas. Every chance I get I make the trip down to Austin. It is a wonderful, eclectic city. Here in McKinney we are making larger and larger investments to support the arts. The historic downtown area is becoming the center of media and performing arts in the town. I think the Austin arts scene is our model for success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan. I once lived in McKinney. On a farm just north of town. The property is now split by the freeway. I can't believe the changes in McKinney and I get up there every chance I get. It seemed so far from Dallas 'in my day.' Not any more.

    ReplyDelete