Thursday, March 13, 2008

Smoke, Fire and Ice

Hoover's is another eatery on Manor just east of the Interstate. This isn't a great picture, shot hastily from across the street, but the sign says "Smoke, Fire and Ice House." I take that to mean they have smoked meat, a bit of spice and the comfort food associated with the South Texas Ice House. (I believe that joints sprang up around ice purveyors to serve barbecue, burgers and cool drinks. This model wasn't prevalent where I grew up, a few hundred miles to the north. There is a local burger joint chain called Waterloo Ice House. Have to get some pix of their locations some time.) I haven't eaten at Hoover's but lots of friends recommend it. I thought it was more just Southern cooking like meat loaf and mashed potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad you explained this sign. At first glance I thought it must just be clean "Hoover" vacuumed food. -:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their coconut cream pie fills my dreams while living here on the southeast coast of England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful chicken-fried chicken and jalapeno spinach, too.

    ReplyDelete