Saturday, August 9, 2008

Other Places to Live

Now that we are pouring money into this condo, outfitting it with custom built-ins (and soon speakers, track lights, big flat TVs and shades) we have to stop and consider whether we made the right choice. Of course, we think we did and we might as well think so. But I've also admired the deco look of this place (Avenue Lofts) on East Fifth. I'm a sucker for a few round windows and a bit of a chrome look. I like our west side location better, but everything is a trade off. And, of course, as FFP says "I wish I were rich and could buy in the Austonian, but then again it won't be ready for two years." Yeah, who knows what will happen in two years. Although I might be able to get out of the house in two years while doing it in less than a week is a reach.

4 comments:

  1. This is the Art Deco style but it was built recently? If all that is new they did a good job. Any attempt to replicate something in the Deco style in Vancouver would look cheap and nasty.

    You'll spend most of your time inside looking out from your condo. You can look at the exterior of this place whenever you like, and it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure when this building was built. I need to research that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, this bldg housed a branch of the city government for many years. I would guess that it was originally built in the forties. It was sold to a developer who fancied it up into condos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that case it's the genuine article. I'd like to live in an authentic deco building myself. Thanks Forrest

    ReplyDelete