Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice's Picnic

This installation at Sandy Beach Park near Cesar Chavez reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. What appears to be a lace tablecloth is actually made from metal. Sandy Beach Park is not really sandy...except for right here it appears to have been planted with something to hold the ground. It's not really a beach either as it is separated from Lady Bird Lake by a busy street and the hike and bike trail. It's not much of a park either as it is sort of hard to access currently I had to tromp in weeds along the veloway where only bikes are allowed on the nice surface and then walk through some sandy mud. I'm guessing this is an elaborate art installation (with some usefulness for an urban picnic) and that the park will be more fully developed when the nearby apartments are finished and the pedestrian bridge is extended to land here. I'd been driving by this for a while and found it puzzling. Walking over there didn't reveal much more about it.

4 comments:

  1. Austin never outgrows its appetite for weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I have always wanted to make my way to "Sandy Beach". Glad to learn that it's not actually a beach afterall...no expectations when I visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should view this as an open invitation: invite a party of friends to bring a picnic and inaugurate the work in style!

    I like the installation, and its capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. The metal table cover and light fixations are interesting. Thanks for letting us know about this place.

    ReplyDelete