Monday, June 25, 2007

Crape Myrtles

The Crape Myrtles (also called Crepe Myrtles, which looks most correct to me, or Lagerstroemia) are blooming around town just now. There are several types and species and they seem to bloom multiple times and different ones at different times. Some are as big as trees like this one with many trunks. Some are varieties that stay smaller. The blossoms are white or shades of light red or pink. I'm no plant expert. I am, in fact, the opposite of a plant expert. I'm plant stupid. This tall, pink-blossomed example is blooming near this stone structure at the cemetery entrance near our house. We have an example at our house which always seems to bloom out of sync with all the others, but it does have some blossoms now. We have had an exceptionally wet June, I think.

3 comments:

  1. personally I find the traffic lights more fascinating [that isn't meant to sound like a put-down] -- they contrast somewhat with ones in a recent pic on Hyde DP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo. A long time ago somebody planted that flowering bush/tree and look at it now. I wonder how many traffic lights have been planted in that same time period.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the light at Bull Creek and Hancock for those following along on Google Earth at home. Appearance of the traffic lights around the world is interesting. It confuses me driving in Europe when the light is on the corner instead of in the middle of the intersection. More than once I've gotten too far forward to see it. In South Africa they call them robots, I believe. That's amusing, too.

    ReplyDelete