Sunday, June 17, 2007

Upon Reflection

I have shown restraint so far in this blog by showing only one reflection picture. But today I'm lazily digging through the archives for a photo. And this reflection of a shop window on South Lamar seemed like a perfect thing to show you. It was taken in March when we were attending the SXSW film festival. One of the venues was the Alamo Draft House on South Lamar and it is in a center with some funky little shops like this one. Yes, you can buy a cowboy hat in Austin, new or used. But you don't really see that many people wearing them unless you go to the Broken Spoke or take a drive out to some smaller towns.

I'll try to keep the reflection and shop window pictures to a minimum here on Austin Daily Photo and give you more straight up sights. But these kinds of pictures are something of an obsession that I've explored with my journal or blog photography over the years. My good friend SuRu even encouraged me to write an "artist's statement" for this work. Which I did. Tongue firmly in cheek. (That statement is accompanied by a photo from Paris. Apologies to Eric and other PDP folks.) For those of you who actually like this stuff you can check out the blog entries here (there are a lot so click 'older posts' if you aren't bored by the bottom of a page) or an old compendium here.

1 comment:

  1. Commenting on the Broken Spoke... When I was a university student in Denton, TX back in the 80s there was a Broken Spoke (we renamed the Broken Nose for all the fights that seemed to occur whenever our band played). I had no idea of the Bob Wills connection. Hopefully, there are fewer fights in yours. Always loved Austin and almost moved there. I survived many football games as I watched North Texas State get whooped by those darned Longhorns. Cool blog and great photos. I like Lake Austin from above. Go Mean Green!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete