Saturday, June 2, 2007

It was about thirty years ago today


I guess seeing the stories about Sgt. Pepper's LHCB's 40th Anniversary got me in a sentimental mood. In that vein, here is a shot Linda took not long ago of an art deco clock and some antique pens in our entertainment room. I think we bought the pens at a charity benefit. (We go to a lot of those.) It's a total pain to reset the hands on the clock every time Daylight Savings Time dictates, since the back is held on by some almost invisible little nuts, but it is nice to look at.

As of August, we'll have been in this house for thirty years. We are in the process of winnowing down our inventory of possessions in preparation for the big move next year to a fancy new high rise condo which will have about 40% of the space we enjoy now. As a result, we are faced with making some tough choices about which of our possessions to save and which to dispose of -- either by selling them or giving them away. It's for certain that many knick-knacks like these won't make the cut. Every square inch at the new place will be just too valuable for non-essentials, though we will save a few decorative items.

But because we've grown to love so many of our things, it's painful to say goodbye to them.

Thirty years! So hard to imagine all that time has gone by. And yet, in the course of history it's a speck.

3 comments:

  1. I know the clock predates her, but the Art Deco woman looks a bit like Marilyn Monroe in "The Seven Year Itch." --Jette

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be dreadfully painful for me to get rid of my treasures. I thought I'd do it the last time I moved but, at the last moment, I bought a larger home rather than a smaller one as I'd planned. I'm just putting off the inevitable.

    You'll have to tuck away some of your sentimentality to downsize - but oh, won't you feel lighter and freer once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just "things", Forrest...They gave you years of pleasure but it's time to "set them free".
    When we moved to Europe for a few years, I enjoyed nothing more than "cleaning house" - giving away trinkets to friends and relatives, selling some stuff at a garage sale and donating the rest...
    You won't know how freeing it feels until you go through with it.

    And as a reward...you have that fancy condo to look forward to ;-)

    ReplyDelete