Friday, June 22, 2007

In the Shadow of the New Downtown


I went downtown on Tuesday to meet a couple of friends. I was snapping pictures of the high rise under construction that will be our home in a year or so from Sixth Street when I spotted this old sign. I remembered seeing it before. It's near the Hoffbrau Steakhouse which is an extremely funky old restaurant. Instead of running another picture of our rising high rise today, I decided to give you this one. And no, I can't fathom exactly what it means and that is not my long neck parked underneath.

I like to capture stuff like this before it fades away. Somewhere in my files are other murals, signs and public art that I captured and that are now gone.

My friends were impressed that I took the bus down to meet them on Tuesday. One of them lives near our current home but was coming downtown from her work down south. So I knew I could get a ride home. Unfortunately, riding the bus downtown from our house involves an almost half mile walk from the house, a possible fifteen minute wait for the bus and (given my destination this time) a little walk at the end. No big deal except that it is hot already in Texas. When I met my friends I cooled off with some air conditioning and a couple of Shiner Bocks!

2 comments:

  1. Just saw on the news last night that Austin is sitting on natural gas -- the largest deposits anywhere. And people are already drilling and making money. Maybe this person will get enough to fix the window.

    I am back from my self-imposed vacation.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are no gas wells in Austin. There are lots around the state, of course, and lots of new wells being tapped in Denton County and other counties near Ft. Worth. A few hundred miles away. Texas is a very big state. If you fly into Austin, tour around Central Texas for a few days you won't see one oil well or gas well. You can see a commemorative rig on the UT campus. Lots of UT money comes from oil. But not on the campus. I'm pretty sure you won't see a gas well in downtown Austin any time soon! However, the stories from the Ft. Worth area may be what you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete